When I was a kid, my mother would make a wonderful vegetable beef soup in the winter. It is one of those tastes that you never forget.
It is winter now and we are eating a lot of soup to warm up our bones. This is my attempt at Mom’s soup.
Vegetable Beef Soup
A hearty soup for a cold winter's day.
- 1 large pot or Dutch oven
- 1 Wooden Spoon
- 1 Knife
- 10 oz stewing beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cups sweet corn
- 1 cups onion diced
- 1 cups carrot diced
- 1 cups celery diced
- 1 cup potato diced
- 1 ½ cup cabbage chopped
- 1 cup butter beans frozen
- 1 cup runner beans sliced
- 30 oz plum tomatoes and sauce
- 1 quart chicken broth or water
- ½ cup tubetti pasta or any soup pasta
- ½ cup pearl barley
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add beef and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Add all ingredients except barley and pasta and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat so that the soup is just simmering.
- Cook for one hour, stirring and crushing tomatoes occasionally.
- Add barley and pasta. Cook for one more hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!