This is one of my favourite snacks. It is just delicious. Be warned though, it will stink up the kitchen while fermenting…you were warned.
A lovely snack or addition to a salad.
- 1 1L/1Q spring top canning jar. Sterilised.
- 1 weight To hold down vegetables under water.
- 1 2L/2Q pot
- 500 ml water
- 15 g salt
- 1 onion medium, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper large, chopped
- 4 chili peppers adjust to taste
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1/2 cauliflower small head, chopped into florets
- 1 tbsp juice from previous batch or other ferment optional to speed up process
- Add water and salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Let water cool to room temperature.
- Add vegetables to the jar.
- Add as much water as will fit.
- Add weight to hold vegetables below the water level. I use a glass votive holder.
- Remove the rubber ring and close the jar.
- Move to a cool dark place.
- Once a day, tap the jar on a surface to release any bubble that have formed due to fermentation, after a day or two. The liquid should become cloudy,
- Once you no longer see any new bubbles forming, about a week, add the rubber ring back tot the jar and close.
- Move to the refrigerator and enjoy over the next 2 months.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!